Tuesday, May 8, 2012

One Mequtaria

This morning, since I was listening to my class lecture and had some quiet time to myself, I whipped up this 41 knot mequtaria. I'm going to say that it's an Ethiopian (Ge'ez) style mequtaria because of the divider beads after 7 and then 12 knots. As you'll be able to see from the Ethiopian prayers I listed earlier, they have several sets of seven and twelve repetitions, followed by 41 or 64 repetitions of other prayers according to one's preference.

I'm speculating here, but my guess would be that a Coptic mequtaria would typically simply be 41 knots without any divider beads since its primary use would be for the "Kyrie Eleisons" during Agpeya (Coptic Liturgy of the Hours). If I have any Coptic and/or Ethiopian Ge'ez readers, please correct me if I'm wrong. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment